RSS
Image

#atozchallenge: G is for Graveyard…

08 Apr

image

Today’s
A-Z post is brought to you by the residence of the dead; the graveyard, always good for a photo opportunity…

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

{Yes, I know I posted this as “F is for Graveyard”, I blame auto-correct}

Advertisements

26 Comments

Posted by on April 8, 2016 in A - Z challenge, Blogging, Photography

Tags: , , , , ,

26 responses to “#atozchallenge: G is for Graveyard…

1. John W. Howell

April 8, 2016 at 20:47

It looks like no one takes care of these gravesites. I must say the flowers grow well though.

• dalecooper57

April 8, 2016 at 20:49

I’ll admit that I picked the more dilapidated headstones, they interest me more, photographically speaking.

2. Robert Matthew Goldstein

April 8, 2016 at 21:05

Nice graveyard shots!

• dalecooper57

April 8, 2016 at 21:40

Thanks. The secret there is to try and avoid getting the industrial units either side in shot. Just got away with it. ;~}

• Robert Matthew Goldstein

April 9, 2016 at 01:25

You’re right…I’ve tried to take cemetery shots and I’ve never gotten one that I like.

3. John Holton

April 8, 2016 at 21:42

Here in the South, you find graveyards everywhere; families used to set up an area on their land and bury their dead family members there. Over the years, land has been sold and repurposed, but they leave the graveyard there, headstones and all, so you’ll be driving along a busy commercial street and there’ll be a graveyard between two buildings. There’s a now mostly vacant shopping center near us, and behind one of the buildings, fenced off with a chain-link fence, is some family’s graveyard (since we live in an area that used to be the property of country singer Travis Tritt’s family, it might be his relatives, I don’t know).

4. steph

April 8, 2016 at 22:53

The color hues really change the mood of these photos- some could not look more vibrant and spring-like; the bottom two make me think southern gothic.

• dalecooper57

April 8, 2016 at 23:05

Thanks. I like a bit of atmosphere and it was a rather grey day

5. Juli Hoffman

April 9, 2016 at 03:18

I adore graveyard pics! I’m sure some people think they’re creepy, but my thinking is more inline with the Victorian’s. Cemeteries are like beautiful walking parks, full of statues, monuments, and plenty of history. (I especially like your first pic with the old cathedral.) Take care!

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 06:08

It’s actually only a pretty minor, out of the way church, but it does have an imposing tower doesn’t it?

• Juli Hoffman

April 9, 2016 at 15:08

In the pic, it looks substantial.

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 16:05

It is a tall tower, yes, very imposing. I meant the building isn’t anything more grand than a normal parish church.
        It was actually rebuilt a few years after the original construction, due, I think, to subsidence of the foundations.
        The tower was also recently painstakingly restored, the stone all carefully cleaned to remove discolouration from pollution and general wear and tear. It made an amazing difference to the colour and detail of the stone carving.

6. shanjeniah

April 9, 2016 at 06:11

Lovely graveyard images. I want to go there. I love old graveyards, but I’ll bet that one’s older than any I can find here.

Boldly Going Through the Alphabet!
    @shanjeniah
    Part-Time Minion for Holton’s Heroes
    shanjeniah’s Lovely Chaos

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 06:14

I was actually discussing that very subject with another American blogger just the other day; the fact that the English and Americans have a different view of what makes decent architecture, due to the huge number of properly old buildings over here.

• shanjeniah

April 9, 2016 at 06:24

We have some Dutch buildings in my area, because New York’s first European settlers were Dutch.

I personally love Gothic cathedrals. I get all swoony over Gothic arches. =)

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 06:23

It was built in 1840

• shanjeniah

April 9, 2016 at 06:40

Aha! We have one that old right around the corner from my house. =) Being in New York, we have a few cemeteries (what we most often call them here) with stones dating back into the early 1700s.

An aside:

When my now almost 15 year old son was 8, he once asked me to please not drive past any cemeteries, because there might be zombies. He said that he knew zombies weren’t real. “But I don’t want to take any chances, ” he explained.

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 06:53

There is an 11th century church not far from here, I’ll try and get out there to take some photos one day.

• shanjeniah

April 9, 2016 at 07:06

I’d love to see those! Around here, then, it was Iroquois longhouses. Those are pretty cool, too – but very different, as well.

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 07:11

We have traditional Devon longhouses on Exmoor and Dartmoor, dating back to the 15th century and beyond; my friend Chris used to live in one, a really beautiful place.

• shanjeniah

April 9, 2016 at 07:16

There is a replica longhouse under construction at our local museum. Native American longhouses were very simple, but also ingeniously constructed. I love visiting it, but had to forego it when the kids were small, because there’s a wax display at the far end with an elder narrating stories, and my littles found her creepy.

7. ghostmmnc

April 9, 2016 at 12:35

Those photos are wonderful! I love browsing around old headstones, absorbing the history, and of course looking for ghosts!

• dalecooper57

April 9, 2016 at 12:37

A friend of mine who writes fiction professionally, gets all her characters’ names from graveyards.

8. Henrietta M Ross

April 10, 2016 at 14:40

Those pictures are fantastic, I haven’t been in a graveyard for years, but maybe I should. Whole different dead world in there……that’s probably why I don’t go.

• dalecooper57

April 10, 2016 at 15:17

Thank you. I love them, there’s always a great atmosphere amongst the old stones, especially in really large cemeteries.