RSS

Just Jot It January: Day twenty five…

25 Jan

image

So here we go for the final week of Just Jot It January, a feature that I’ve found to be a very worthwhile challenge to take part in and one that has made me very envious of all those of you who are able to write full-time.

I have wondered many times, since I started my blogging adventure four years ago, how good it would be to get up in the morning with nothing else to do except write.
I don’t mind having a “proper job”, I like to be busy and it’s just a means to an end after all,
We all need to do something to pay the bills and there are worse things than having to get up for work every day, but very few of us are lucky enough to do what we love for a living.

If I was able to choose, (i.e. if I suddenly came into a massive fortune, enabling me to give up my day job and spend my time doing exactly what I wanted) then I doubt I’d go overboard on the luxury items like fancy cars or big houses, I’d simply revel in the opportunity to write for long periods of time without interruptions.

Ok, so maybe I’d find us a nicer place to live, with a decent sized garden and the space to be able to have a dog, but I’m not talking about having a study to lock myself away in, or a summer house that I could retire to when I felt touched by the muse.
No, just the thought of having a few hours of peace and quiet every day, when there isn’t the mind-numbing jabber of children’s TV in the background, or the need to stop every five minutes to check out Audrey’s latest art project/cake design/baby dragon/video game, etc; that alone would gain me about two hours a day in concentration, easy.

Because the more often I write, the more often I want to write.
If I’m undisturbed, it doesn’t take me long to get “in the zone”, so to speak, it’s the stop-start-stop-start breaks in focus that often result in me giving up and waiting for a quite moment later on, (one of the primary reasons for my continual lateness with SoCS posts) so the ability to write all day would be luxury indeed.

However, I wouldn’t sacrifice the life that I have for the ephemeral satisfaction of making stuff up and writing it down, not only because it makes me very happy, but because that happiness is all part and parcel of what gives me the incentive to write in the first place.

So for now, until the royalty cheques start rolling in from the megabucks Hollywood adaptation of The Wrong Stuff, I’ll stick with wearing headphones, writing in the garden whenever possible, gritting my teeth when the Scooby Doo theme comes on for the fiftieth time that day and missing the odd deadline, because blogging might be great, but it’s no good unless there’s someone you love to tell you how brilliant you are.

{For Rhonda and Audrey, my two favourite distractions}

#JusJoJan

Pingback to Linda G Hill.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , ,

24 responses to “Just Jot It January: Day twenty five…

1. ghostmmnc

January 25, 2016 at 15:50

This month of blogging in January has gone by pretty fast. Any plans coming up? I do the A to Z challenge in April, plus there’s some poetry challenges coming up. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts this month, Dale! Happy blogging 🙂

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 15:55

Thanks, I’ve enjoyed it too. I think I’ll have a go at the A-Z, I’ve never tried that before either.
      I’m not really one for poetry, so I’ll probably give that a miss, but you never know…

• ghostmmnc

January 25, 2016 at 16:00

This year will be the 3rd AZ I’ll be doing. It’s fun, and you meet some great bloggers.

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 16:06

Yes, it’s been good to connect with new people on the JusJoJan feature, so I look forward to it.

• ghostmmnc

January 25, 2016 at 16:22

Wonderful! 🙂

2. dvaal

January 25, 2016 at 16:35

Ah….you are a wonderful daddy and husband.

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 16:44

I try. ;~}

• dvaal

January 25, 2016 at 16:45

I’m trying to do a quiz to see which one of us is right -on the sex issue. Hopefully, women will help me out.

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 19:40

I doubt that will be very scientific, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

• dvaal

January 25, 2016 at 20:43

Thanks -well, it will make you happy that lots of people have liked the post but only one has joined in -and she agrees!

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 20:44

Agrees with what?

• dvaal

January 25, 2016 at 20:47

With me -that women look for love in sex!

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 20:52

Ah, well maybe she’s the one who does. ;~}

• dvaal

January 25, 2016 at 21:50

Funny -of course she does -but so do most women! Ugh -men are always difficult -even in blogging.

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 21:54

No, I really am especially annoying, ask anyone who knows me, hahaha.

• dvaal

January 26, 2016 at 03:11

I’m confident -you are! He He

3. lindamartinandersen

January 25, 2016 at 18:22

So glad you have those special people in your life or else you’d be too lonely to write!

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 19:41

I don’t actually suffer from loneliness. I miss people I love, sure, but I’m very happy in my own company.

4. John W. Howell

January 25, 2016 at 20:59

I’m one of those fortunate enough to write full time. Like all endeavors, there are some frustrating things associated with this one as well. The biggest is after spending months crafting a book then having to go out and sell it. If I were not full time and could adopt a cavalier attitude about book sales I think this frustration would go away. There is a self-imposed requirement that people buy and enjoy the product of my effort. It will never change.

• dalecooper57

January 25, 2016 at 21:52

I understand what you mean.
      I think that maybe my Accidental Writer strategy is the more fun way of getting to play with the form, I also really like the short story format, I suppose because when I get an idea, I want to get my brilliant story out and on the screen.
      Then I can read it and congratulate myself on how brilliant it is and how the ending is perfect, etc, etc.
      So I think if I sat down and thought “Ok, I’m going to write a novel”, it would seem too daunting a prospect, too much of a slog to reach that brilliant punchline.
      And I get that there’s a lot of marketing bollocks involved and all the tedious admin and promotion that goes along with it too, especially if you’re a one man operation without a big publishing house behind you, doing all the legwork.

I’m just grateful that I got to have something of mine actually printed, IN A BOOK, this soon after starting to write, I appreciate that I’ve had an easy introduction into whole publishing thing.

I do love my blog though, that’s always been my motivation I suppose, to keep writing something, anything, that people want to read.

I’m just as bad in person too, I’m afraid. ;~}

• John W. Howell

January 25, 2016 at 23:26

I already came to the conclusion your badness wasn’t just skin deep. 😀

5. Capt Jill

January 26, 2016 at 04:04

I think, like you, I wanted time with peace and quiet and no distractions to write. Now that I pretty much have that (since I got laid off), I can’t seem to get motivated to do anything. It sounds like you’re happy being busy. 🙂

• dalecooper57

January 26, 2016 at 08:03

Yeah, but some magical ability to mute the rest of the world would be nice.

• Capt Jill