RSS

Just Jot It January: Day eighteen…

18 Jan

image

For this, the 18th installment of Just Jot It January, I thought I’d give you an update on Brian, our unofficial pet.

Nearly six months ago, Brian arrived in our back garden (or rather, since he was lost, maybe “failed to arrive somewhere else” would be more accurate) and showed no sign of wanting to leave.

He was a bit cautious to begin with, but regular meals and non-threatening behaviour on our part seem to have helped him settle in to a daily routine.
He now comes fluttering down from the roof when we go and sit out for a morning coffee, strutting about and making that weird hooting noise that pigeons make, until one of us rewards him with a pile of seed from the pot we keep in the (now securely anchored) gazebo, especially for him.

image

Brian has become less picky in the time that he’s been with us, now actually eating the wild bird food we have for the less-refined natives of the neighbourhood, instead of insisting on the sunflower seeds that he would only eat when he first appeared last August.

image

As you can see, he now has his full winter plumage, with some rather fetching iridescent patches of green and purple, after having gone through a somewhat less dignified period of moulting, when it looked like he had mange and his throat went completely bald.
He’s even started associating with the local wildlife to a certain degree, sometimes sharing a branch with another (less well-bred) pigeon or one of the collared doves that frequent the patio, although he is still very protective of his personal seed pile.

image

“You lookin’ at my seed?”

The only possible danger Brian faces now, is from the attention of the two cats that have moved in next door, one of whom is showing an unhealthy interest in our feathered friend. But he seems to have got into the habit of checking to see if the coast is clear before venturing down from the roof, so he may not be quite as bird-brained as we thought.

Having said that, he does occasionally seem to have trouble determining what constitutes a balanced diet.

image

“Now, do I eat salad, I can’t remember..?”

{photos by Rhonda}

#JusJoJan

Pingback to Linda G Hill.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

27 responses to “Just Jot It January: Day eighteen…

1. ghostmmnc

January 18, 2016 at 16:22

Aww how wonderful to read about Brian the Pigeon! We feed the birds here at the feeder, and had one stop for a few days. πŸ™‚

January 18, 2016 at 16:27

He’s definitely a permanent resident now, despite the fact we’ve let him keep his bling rings. ;~}

• ghostmmnc

January 18, 2016 at 16:36

I think you’ve saved him from a bad ending, if he’d been returned to the owners. I’d never heard of that before. Wonderful photos you took!

January 18, 2016 at 16:43

Thanks. The original post photos were mine, today’s were the wife’s.

• ghostmmnc

January 18, 2016 at 16:50

Ahh…very good photographers you both are! πŸ™‚

January 18, 2016 at 17:06

He’s a good model. ;~}

2. anfinsenart

January 18, 2016 at 18:05

Never seen a pigeon with iridescent color. Beautiful. Nice presentation!

January 18, 2016 at 18:16

The pure bred racing pigeons usually have these colours, they’re very different to the feral pigeons (which are actually rock doves) and we have wood pigeons in the trees as well as the collared doves who Brian has to defend his dinner from.

3. Deborah

January 18, 2016 at 19:22

A great pet! Thanks for sharing with us. πŸ™‚

January 18, 2016 at 19:26

Thinking about it, we’re probably HIS pets, he chose us after all.

4. Big D

January 18, 2016 at 20:47

Brian seems like a cool dude.

January 18, 2016 at 21:12

Brian is The Man on our patio, as far as birds are concerned. They get near his seed and he does that puffed-up, standing on tiptoe thing and gives it some “Hoooo Hooooo!” and they all bugger off. They know who’s boss.

5. LindaGHill

January 19, 2016 at 16:45

Brian is lovely! Though I have to admit, I was half-expecting you to go on to say you’d adopted a talking dog, when you mentioned his name.

January 19, 2016 at 16:57

A talking dog?

• LindaGHill

January 19, 2016 at 16:58

Brian? Family Guy?

January 19, 2016 at 18:20

Ah. No, I can’t bear that, it’s way too American.

• LindaGHill

January 19, 2016 at 22:47

Seriously? It’s so funny! And so many references to 70s and 80s pop culture!

January 20, 2016 at 00:26

Meh, never liked it, don’t know why, just don’t find it funny.

• LindaGHill

January 20, 2016 at 00:31

Huh.

January 20, 2016 at 00:34

I liked King of the Hill, if that’s any consolation.

• LindaGHill

January 20, 2016 at 00:36

Not as funny. Maybe you just didn’t see the right episodes or something.
        I just find it weird, since you and I have such a similar sense of humour.

January 20, 2016 at 07:55

Hmm, I didn’t like American Dad and I’m not really a Simpsons fan either.

• LindaGHill

January 20, 2016 at 11:52

Nope, me neither. Whose Line Is It Anyway though, has to be one of the best shows ever.

January 20, 2016 at 12:06

Ah, now you’re talking.
        Another British show that was a huge American hit. We became familiar with many US and Canadian comedians through that show: Greg Proops, Ryan Stiles, Mike McShane and Colin Mochrie to name but a few.

• LindaGHill

January 20, 2016 at 12:30

Strangely enough, I didn’t find the English version as funny. And usually I enjoy English comedy more than American. Must have been Colin. πŸ˜‰

6. dvaal

January 20, 2016 at 17:03

This bird is obviously not good at being a homing pigeon, as it hasn’t flown home, unless you put those bands on his legs. My guess it, he’s decided this is his home, just minus his buddies. He will probably stay for life -as that is what they do. He seems like a wonderful pet to have, I just hope the cat doesn’t get him.

Probably, you could pick him up, but I wouldn’t without gloves as their poop can (I say can)_ give you sleeping sickness.

I know -what is it with the advice today -you just got lucky -what can I say. I am a lecture by blood.

January 20, 2016 at 17:24

Yeah, if you search for the “Life of Brian” post, you’ll see that I’ve investigated his origins already.
      I do know people who have kept pigeons and I know their droppings are a health hazard, especially when they dry out and become an airborne powder.