RSS

A sobering thought…

01 Mar

My dad told me once about a bloke he used to work with who was a serious alcoholic.
He was apparently unable to get out of bed in the morning without first having a quick couple of shots from the bottle of vodka pick-me-up in his bedside drinks cabinet.
He then drove to work, refreshing himself occasionally from a handy second bottle he had stashed in the glove compartment and for the rest of his working day in the office he functioned perfectly well, providing he kept himself topped-up from bottle number three, hidden in the drawer of his desk.

I remember thinking about this, doing some brief calculations and coming to the conclusion that it had to be an exaggeration. Even over the space of one day this guy had to be putting away a bottle and a half of vodka. Surely nobody could function with anything like normality with that much alcohol in their bloodstream, could they?

Over the years I’ve known some folks who “liked a drink”, but my experience of them has been almost exclusively in situations (pubs, clubs, parties, etc) where the rest of us were also in some way intoxicated, so their conspicuous consumption was always less, well, conspicuous.
In other words, I’ve never consciously thought about the normal daily routine of the bench-or-ditch common-or-garden alcoholic.
Until recently, that is.

An old friend I hadn’t seen for a long time had been in touch and, having cheerfully informed me on the phone that since we’d last met, he’d “turned into a right old alchy”, told me (with what I thought was considerable hyperbole) several stories about waking up on public benches after consuming superhuman quantities of vodka, once even attracting the attention of a passing group of local church-going musicians who took pity on the insensible stranger and installed him in a pew to sleep it off, where he later awoke to the strains of a religious sing-song.
Enough to sober anyone up, you would have thought.

image

Now, I’m not prone to unwarranted sympathy (possibly an understatement) and although I accept that alcoholism is an illness that nobody would choose, I don’t have much patience with the “Oh poor me, feel sorry for me, I can’t help myself” attitude in any situation, let alone one that has such a devastating effect on anyone that suffers from it, not to mention the pain and anxiety it causes those around them.
So if my newly-pickled old friend was expecting me to reinforce any notion that this was all just boozy high-jinx, he was going to be disappointed.

After expressing suitable (and genuine) sympathy for the situation that had brought him to the brink on which he now teetered, I proceeded to give him a bloody good talking to, mainly on the theme of “Stop being such a fucking idiot, if you carry on like that you’re going to kill yourself” with a side order of “I shall be really pissed off with you if you die after finally getting back in touch”, all of which seemed to gratify him in some way, if only because he’d forgotten that I’d tell him what I thought, without sugar coating it.

Since then we have stayed in touch and he has visited on several occasions, each time looking more like his old self, only now he has a new topic of conversation; how he’s doing at his alcohol meetings and which of the various “managed recovery” programmes is the most effective.
However, things are not always what they seem to the uninitiated and, while it’s true to say that a casual observer would have noticed a marked difference in his appearance over the last few months, they probably wouldn’t have been aware that he was still needing to consume a few restorative drinks to regain his equilibrium for the day.
So I was treated to the frankly alarming sight of him transforming, Jekyll and Hyde-like, from a rather shaky, pale and irritable shade of his former, fun-loving and mischievous self, back into the old friend I know and love over the period of about an hour or so, during which time he drank a 25cl bottle of anonymous Co-op vodka, each barely-diluted slug visibly reviving his good spirits. (no pun intended).
Always present though, is the self-knowledge of his situation.
Somebody asked if one of us could give them a lift to work and we had to say no as my car was out of action and my friend had to refuse on legal grounds, later saying;
“That’s really bad isn’t it, saying I can’t drive because I’ve had too much to drink, by”,…glancing at the clock,…“1.30 in the afternoon”

Well, quite.

After having given him yet another unsympathetic lecture later that weekend, he said it would be great if I would go along to one of his meetings with him.
Almost before the sentence was out of his mouth I said “No! Definitely not. No no no no no.”
“But why not?” he asked, “My dad wouldn’t come with me either”
“Because I wouldn’t be able to maintain the correct level of politely diplomatic sympathy” I said.
“Oh but they’d love that”, he said, enthusiastically “they like it when people don’t take any bullshit from them”

I declined nonetheless, I’m not really designed for support groups, although I’m impressed with the help and support this particular group has given my friend. It’s now down to him to find the inner strength to follow the advice they share, often gained through bitter experience, when there isn’t anyone around to save him from his own demons.

As he recently told me, after encouraging me to write this post;
“The worst of it is this little man who sits on your shoulder. He’s called The Trickster and he says things like ‘Go on, have a drink it’s not really bad for you’ and ‘Go on, you need another drink NOW’ I hate him”

I can only hope he realises how serious his position is, because the threat to his health is very real and if he doesn’t follow the advice of those of us who do give a shit about him, even if he doesn’t give a shit about himself at the moment, then there is a very real chance he won’t be around to listen to me lecture him, and that would really piss me off.
It would be a very great shame indeed and a terrible waste too, to throw away so much for the sake of so little.
So if you are reading this, and I know you are, stick to your plan mate, we’re always here if you feel you might stumble.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I’d be hugely irritated by the whole self-indulgent experience, I’d set up my own version of a support group.
I can just picture the scene now;

In a community hall somewhere, a diverse selection of ordinary people slowly assembles, quietly taking their seats, arranged in the ubiquitous, non-hierarchical circle, they carefully avoid each other’s eyes, as if, although having been drawn here by a common bond they are nevertheless not comfortable with the fact.
A member of the group with a more confident air about them than the rest says brightly, “Right, who wants to start?”
There is a pause, then one of the other members of the circle silently nods, closes his eyes briefly as if to prepare for a distasteful ordeal, slowly stands up and says;

“Hello, my name’s Dale, and I have a friend who is an alcoholic”

{ If you, a friend, or members of your family have been affected by someone else’s drinking, there is help out there, don’t despair.
Follow this link if you are in need of help or advice.
}

**************************************************************************

Update
Since posting this article yesterday, Parenting and Mental Health linked it to a post on their website, a tragic story with a terrible familiarity.
Please take a minute to read it, it’s a powerful piece, written with dignified desperation by someone with nowhere left to turn.

My boyfriend is an alcoholic at 22.

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

21 responses to “A sobering thought…

1. lisa black

March 1, 2014 at 17:52

Unfortunately, alkies can’t stop cold turkey without risk of killing themselves. He could either go somewhere to dry out under medical supervision, or try it the way he’s currently doing it at the risk of edging back into wholesale, all-the-time drunkeness.

• dalecooper57

March 1, 2014 at 18:01

Yeah, I’ve had a crash course in withdrawal and recovery. He went for a liver function test a couple of months ago and told me that the result should be between 10 and 60. He asked me to guess his reading and I went for 120, thinking that was outrageously high. It was in fact 1326!
      He was due another test recently, since cutting down considerably on an incremental reduction plan, hopefully we’ll see an improvement. Fingers crossed.

2. B. Horne

March 1, 2014 at 18:13

Not a bad post Cooper, though I must say it’s no Gettysburg. For the record, I myself stopped drinking and smoking several years back… my air sacks have never felt so good!

• dalecooper57

March 1, 2014 at 18:22

Cheers Ben, glad you’re keeping to the carrot and celery regime. Hope you appreciate my “telling the hardest truth first” approach, I’m sure Dr Jacoby would approve.

3. kathcom

March 1, 2014 at 22:41

You’re a good friend.

4. Ron

March 2, 2014 at 01:35

Great post, Dale, and I sincerely hope, hope, hope that your friend reads it.

• dalecooper57

March 2, 2014 at 12:18

Oh he’s read it, don’t worry about that. I made sure of it.

5. Big D

March 2, 2014 at 02:43

It alarms me somewhat that your friend seems to consider the whole thing vaguely amusing. Or am I reading that wrong?

• dalecooper57

March 2, 2014 at 12:20

No, initially he did appear not to be taking it seriously. Now however, he has had a wake up call that cannot be ignored, I think and hope that will be the end of the flippant attitude.

6. jerseylil

March 2, 2014 at 07:26

So well said, Dale, and it is a very sobering thought. I have known alcoholics and the threat to health is very real. I don’t believe in sugarcoating it either. The term “drinking oneself to death” is no exaggeration. I’ve seen it happen to friends in the past and it’s such a damned shame! Your friend needs to follow your advice and that of those who give a shit about him! I hope he can keep working on conquering those demons and not give in to the Trickster. Yes, it would be a terrible waste, a terrible loss, if he cannot. You are a good friend to care so much.

• dalecooper57

March 2, 2014 at 12:22

Thanks Lil, I’m determined not to let it get the better of him.

7. iancochrane

March 2, 2014 at 11:22

Haha Dale. A funny-serious post & loved the final line.
    Cheers, ic

• dalecooper57

March 2, 2014 at 12:22

Cheers Ian, I’m glad someone else can see the dark humour involved in this subject.

8. steph

March 2, 2014 at 21:13

I’m glad your friend has your tough love and support. Alcoholism is such a terrible thing.

• dalecooper57

March 2, 2014 at 21:15

I’m hoping my non-sympathetic approach will help cut through the denial bullshit.

9. Chris Davies

March 4, 2014 at 12:38

Yes love the post. Your mate needs no sympathy, just to get his bloody act together. I should know lol

10. Lallie

March 5, 2014 at 16:06

There is a support network for friends, relations and partners of alcoholics – Al-Anon

• dalecooper57

March 5, 2014 at 16:09

I’m sure that will be a great consolation to a lot of people, thanks. I’ve added a link onto the end of the post. Thanks again.

11. Kris Landt

March 25, 2015 at 11:09

I know this had to be a difficult post for you to write, Dale. Loving an alcoholic is no easy task, but that’s probably what they need more than anything else. I truly think that alcoholism/addiction has its roots in a lack of human connection. You might like this article, which I found quite provocative: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html

• dalecooper57

March 25, 2015 at 11:24

Thank you Kris, one thing I can give is love and support.